Food, Wine & Just Good Living With SaucyJoe

It started with a love of food, wine & fun and blossomed into a maddening pursuit of the best recipes, techniques, grills, smokers, wines, crafted beers, rubs, marinades and sauces... We do more than play with our meat though -- we review and discuss all things cooking, drinking, reading, laughing and living at SaucyJoe's.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Just like Mom used to make ... Only faster!

A statement I can make and not get in trouble since my Mom was the person that turned me on to the product in the first place!

A couple of years ago while visiting my Mom she told me that we were going to have Pot Roast for dinner. As it was already 5:00pm I gave her a questioning look and she returned from the kitchen with a package of Hormel Roast Beef Au Jus. She told me "it tastes just like my Pot Roast." I gave her the benefit of the doubt and was surprised at the results. As the contents of the package are pre-cooked, 7 minutes in the microwave provides a piping hot entree that does taste like Moms' Pot Roast.

Since then I've made it a habit of having one or two packages of Roast Beef Au Jus in the fridge for the just in case comfort meals. I'll still make my own mashed potatoes as I'm not ready to give up on that. I haven't the heart to look at the Nutritional Chart on the side of the package as it may be full of disappointments, but I must say that the pieces of meat that come in the package are lean and free of the fat that you'd get in my four hour cooked Pot Roast.

Missing from the formula is the thing that we usually associate with Pot Roast. The Smell! The hours of torturous aromas that fill the house. Pavlov has nothing on me!! For that reason and for the sake of carrying on tradition I will continue to spend some quality time making good old fashioned Pot Roast, but if I'm in a pinch, I know I have a good backup plan!!

You can find Hormel Fully Cooked Entrees in the meat section of your grocery store. They are packaged in 17oz. and 30oz. sizes. With our crew of six, the 30oz. size works well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Connie said...

I will definitely have to try the Hormel one since the HEB version was a disappointment. Got dry too fast.
Talk about your comfort food!

Sat Jan 20, 12:42:00 PM CST  
Blogger Saucy Joe Sullivan said...

It felt like such an advertisment writing about their product, but it's been a lifesaver when time was limited.

Sat Jan 20, 05:07:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home