Food, Wine & Just Good Living With SaucyJoe

It started with a love of food, wine & fun and blossomed into a maddening pursuit of the best recipes, techniques, grills, smokers, wines, crafted beers, rubs, marinades and sauces... We do more than play with our meat though -- we review and discuss all things cooking, drinking, reading, laughing and living at SaucyJoe's.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Hooray! Prohibition is Repealed ... 73 years ago.


Even with all of the trivia stuck in my head, I managed to flush the date for the end of prohibition: December 5th, 1933. The end of a 14 year dry spell for the United States. I found a little quote that I think portrays the attitude of Americans towards their new freedom: In Milwaukee, beer sales in one month exceed $30 million.

I think I'll join my fellow Americans in their celebration of the 21st Amendment which repealed Prohibition with a cold beer and a hope that we don't get any more crazy ideas like that again!!

special thanks to Wayne State University for this Prohibition Raid photo

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Dave said...

I remember tales of our Granfather making bath tub gin during Prohibition. I too celebrated the anniversary by having one or two cold beers last night!

Wed Dec 06, 05:13:00 PM CST  
Blogger Saucy Joe Sullivan said...

Don't you know we'd all have our own recipes for bathtub gin if we were living back during Prohibition! I'd probably have a newsletter that I'd print out of my press out in the shed.

Probably would need a new name! Bathtub Joe's? Think I'll have another drink and think about it!

Wed Dec 06, 09:06:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home