Food, Wine & Just Good Living With SaucyJoe

It started with a love of food, wine & fun and blossomed into a maddening pursuit of the best recipes, techniques, grills, smokers, wines, crafted beers, rubs, marinades and sauces... We do more than play with our meat though -- we review and discuss all things cooking, drinking, reading, laughing and living at SaucyJoe's.

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Smoke Them Chops!

Smoke Them Chops!

As I am sitting here waiting to chuck aerodynamic pointy objects at segregated bristle targets (i.e. our Sat. darts game), I just had to blog about smokin' them chops. I picked up some thick Iowa pork chops today (1 1/2") and rubbed them with Saucy Joe's Ultimate Rub. I then fired up the smoker, using apple wood chips and lots of water in the hydration pan.

After 1/2 hour of rub absorption, I placed the chops on a rib rack at the top of the smoker. Smokin' duration was 2 hours, and the smoker temperature was held at 220 degrees F (as opposed to the outdoor temperature of 19 degrees F). I then sat down to devour these tasty gems of Iowa porkdom (State Motto: Hogs don't vote. People Do!).

Man-O-Man! I have grilled pork chops most of my adult life, and I think I do a pretty good job of grillin'. However, these were the most moist and flavorful chops I have EVER had! The SJ Ultimate Rub brought out the meat's flavor, and the added smoke taste bordered on the sublime.

So Dr. Dave (the arctic smoker) says: "If ya got 'em, SMOKE 'EM!"

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Dave said...

I spoke to another avid smoker at work today. She told me she always browned her chops on each side and then stood them upright balancing them on the bone for the remainder of her cooking. She said they are much more plump and juicy that way rather than BBQ'ing them flat.

I had done much the same thing when I smoked these chops stnading upright on the bone, held there by the rib rack. I loved how moist the chops were as well as the taste.

Anyone else doing their chops standing upright (the chops, not the cook!) to keep them plump and moist? Has anyone tried this method with steaks?

Dr. Dave

Mon Dec 19, 10:08:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home