Food, Wine & Just Good Living With SaucyJoe

It started with a love of food, wine & fun and blossomed into a maddening pursuit of the best recipes, techniques, grills, smokers, wines, crafted beers, rubs, marinades and sauces... We do more than play with our meat though -- we review and discuss all things cooking, drinking, reading, laughing and living at SaucyJoe's.

Monday, November 28, 2005

A little pre-Thanksgiving grillin'.

My best friend and I decided we wanted to grill so we headed to the store and got some steaks! It was a fairly simple process to grill 'em up but I thought I'd share with you guys. I really don't know about picking steaks...so I claim. I have watched enough FoodTV and read enough on Saucy Joe's blog and website to know that the flavor is in the fat so I looked for steaks with some decent marbling. We found both boneless and bone-in rib eyes in our meat market and opted for the bone-in ones because they just looked a bit better. When I got them back to Cathy's place (yes, my best friend and I have the same name. Just think of how fun that was when we were roommates!!), I rinsed them off because I remember someone saying that's what you do to get the bone dust off the steaks. For the marinade, I pressed some garlic, added soy sauce, fresh ground pepper (both black and white) and some steak seasoning that had a bit of spicy kick to it. I mixed that up for a bit and poured over the steaks and rubbed in. We got the fire going -- ambered coals with some nice flames still -- and put the steaks on. We closed the lid, open the air vents and let them sit for about 7-10 minutes. Nice and fire-kissed on one side! We turned them over and left the lid open and watched them cook. A few minutes of more flame-kissing and they were medium rare. Perfect! We paired the steaks with some multi-green salad and poured my new favorite wine, 2004 Viognier from Becker Vineyards (http://www.beckervineyards.com/tastlist.htm). A wonderful dinner with a wonderful friend.

2 Comments:

Blogger SkiSullivan said...

We did a little of that grilling ourselves over the Thanksgiving week. Some really yummy chicken on the Weber kettle w/ the Saucy Rub (contact us for your holiday supply) and then a post T-day session w/ some ribeyes Sj had frozen earlier. Both turned out exceptionally well, although we paired them w/ reds. A Rioja for the chicken to complement the smoky flavor, and a beaujolais noveau w/ the ribeyes, because, um, we wanted to. Obviously, the food-wine pairings aren't always so astute, but good nonetheless.

AND, we have to say that living in Tejas does afford us some advantages. Dr. Dave reported trying to smoke a ham for Thanksgiving -- working to maintain temperatures despite a 19-degree outside temp w/ nothern winds whipping about... Ugh. I think he paired his ham w/ cognac served in a hot water bottle whilst hugging his smoker.

Mon Nov 28, 03:30:00 PM CST  
Blogger Cathy said...

I'm excited that my posting worked! It took forever for me to figure out where to look for the "post a new thread" link!!
~C

Mon Nov 28, 05:37:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home