Food, Wine & Just Good Living With SaucyJoe

It started with a love of food, wine & fun and blossomed into a maddening pursuit of the best recipes, techniques, grills, smokers, wines, crafted beers, rubs, marinades and sauces... We do more than play with our meat though -- we review and discuss all things cooking, drinking, reading, laughing and living at SaucyJoe's.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dr. Dave's Best Ribs Ever!


I am not saying last night's ribs were the best ribs ever smoked by anyone. However, they were my best effort ever! They were moist, chewy and spicy, everything I like in ribs.

I lean toward dryer ribs which take some chompin' to gain enjoyment. When someone offers fall-off-the-bone ribs, I get a little turned off. I certainly wouldn't order that type of ribs off a menu (sorry Tony Roma!).

However, When I try to create the combination of moist, flavorful and chewy, sometimes, I end up with dry and harsh ribs. So, I read every ribs recipe I come across. The consensus of most BBQ champions is that one coats the ribs with a dry rub of choice. Smoking is done with apple or hickory for 2-3 hours. Then, the ribs are sprayed with some apple juice and wrapped in foil. They are then put back in the smoker at 225 degrees for another 1-2 hours which moisturizes and tenderizes the ribs. Finally,the ribs are glazed with a BBQ sauce, and put back in the smoker or onto a grill to finish. I try this protocol with mixed results. Sometimes good, and sometimes mediocre. So, I decided to try something different.

First, I got some pork back ribs, which seem to have a bit more meat than baby back ribs. Not as much as spare ribs, but Sam's didn't have spare ribs.

Then to add consistent moisture, I marinated the ribs in a mixture of Worcestershire and soy sauce along with apple juice and brown sugar. Marination lasted ~24 hours. Then, I slathered on a mixture of yellow mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire and soy sauce, plus a little beer. Sprinkling Smoking Guns Hot BBQ rub (http://www.smokingunsbbq.com/products.cfm) on both sides of the ribs added some heat. I smoked the ribs for 2 hours at 225 degrees in my water smoker. I pulled the ribs out of the smoker, placed them in foil and brushed on some raspberry-chipolte BBQ sauce from Sugar Ray's over the meat side of the ribs. I then poured a small amount of apple juice into the foil packet and wrapped things up. The ribs were finished in the oven at 275 degrees for 45 minutes.

Here’s the final product.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home