Food, Wine & Just Good Living With SaucyJoe

It started with a love of food, wine & fun and blossomed into a maddening pursuit of the best recipes, techniques, grills, smokers, wines, crafted beers, rubs, marinades and sauces... We do more than play with our meat though -- we review and discuss all things cooking, drinking, reading, laughing and living at SaucyJoe's.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Beer Wench –- Beer w/ Breakfast


Ed Note: This post came across my desk today as I perused a Twitter dialogue of great import. Not only does this author have a great and expansive knowledge of great beers, she has an admirable grasp of all things Spamalot/Holy Grail.

Anyhoo, here's her introduction to a great essay on The Perfect Beer with Pancakes:

The Perfect Beer For Pancakes
January 14, 2009 by The Beer Wench
Whereas some people may frown upon consumption of alcoholic beverages before noon, I encourage it. (Some people may read that statement and tell me that it is an indicator of a problem. Those people are silly folks and prefer to ignore them.)

If you think like me, then you will agree that the consumption of alcohol is appropriate at any hour … day or night.

I am not opposed to drinking during breakfast. In fact, a great brunch is incomplete without some sort of hooch. Typically, The Bloody Mary (double vodka, extra spicy) is my poison of choice. It goes really well with savory breakfast foods such as eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, etc.

But as much as I love my extra spicy, double strong Bloody Marys … they are a horrible pair for pancakes, waffles, french toast, scones, danishes, blintzes, cobblers, muffins, fruit and all the other sweet breakfast goodies.

When it comes to the sweeter side of breakfast, one can always reach for a Mimosa or a Bellini (classic brunch cocktails). OR … why not try a fruit beer?

Normally, I would go straight for the fruit lambics of Belgium for this post. Although this blog is not about fruit lambics, they would make an excellent pairing with a number of breakfast items - particularly those made with fruit.

The other day I stumbled upon a bottle of Melbourn Bros. Strawberry Beer. The bottle said spontaneous fermentation … and we all know that The Wench is a sucker for wild yeast beers. So naturally, I purchased the beer and did some research on its origin.


To read the rest of her post click here

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the repost! I am excited to have found your website! Looking forward to tweeting with you more!!! CHEERS!

Wed Jan 21, 11:28:00 AM CST  
Blogger Dr. Dave said...

First of all, let me express my high admiration for the words and thoughts of the Beer Wench. I, myself, am not much for sweets, being more interested in savory tastes. So, I would invite folks to partake in Huevos Rancheros coupled with a Dr. Dave's BM Tonic on Super Bowl morning to get you ready for the big game (or on Monday morning to recover from the big game). Saucy Joe posted the recipe earlier in the life of this blog. That said, some dark chocolate to eat with a nice lager combines nicely!

Up here in Iowa, Saturday turns warmer (relative term) up to 30 degrees. This is warm enough to fire up the Big Drum Smoker. I have two pork butts, four small cross cut beef rib slabs and two slabs of St. Louis pork ribs. SMOKIN'!

Cheers to the Beer Wench!

Tue Jan 27, 07:49:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home