Food, Wine & Just Good Living With SaucyJoe

It started with a love of food, wine & fun and blossomed into a maddening pursuit of the best recipes, techniques, grills, smokers, wines, crafted beers, rubs, marinades and sauces... We do more than play with our meat though -- we review and discuss all things cooking, drinking, reading, laughing and living at SaucyJoe's.

Friday, September 12, 2008

Stock 'em up and tie 'em down!!

Whatever happened to the days of "I like Ike!" A little before my time, but "I don't like Ike" is here and now and it's got people scrambling. You can't change the channel around here without seeing some sort of Chicken Little news update. They even sent out a flyer at about storm preparations at my workplace.

As I perused through the flyer, (I had to look up the word swale) I noticed the amount of info they had about grills. Now that piqued my interest! I've never considered my grills as flying missiles, but given enough wind I guess they could be. Though I would consider my kettle grill more of a flying saucer. The propane tank would make a dandy propusion system too! So put away and/or secure your grills and disconnect the hose from the propane bottle for safety sake and post storm necessity.

At the end of the flyer they had additional suggestions for post storm power outages that brought back memories of past hurricanes and storms: Have enough propane, charcoal and starter fluid to last for a week or two. Your grill may be the only cooking source available in the aftermath, so make sure you are prepared. I noticed in past disasters that volunteers came in with their bbq rig in tow ready to feed the masses. I'm not telling you to gear up to feed a community, but if you don't have power restored after a day or so you may have the neighbors looking to grill up the contents of their fridge and freezer and they'll come to the person that cooks outdoors all of the time. Could be quite the party!!

So be safe, prepared and ready to live the good life even when the sky is falling! Enjoy!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Connie said...

Good grief! Here I was thinking that I'd figured out how to safely batten down the hatches here by securing the patio furniture, moving the largest plants to the garage, but the gas grill would have wreaked all kinds of havoc.

Fortunately, Austin was spared, but your advice will be a good reminder for future hurricane and tornado preparedness. Thanks, bro!

Sun Sep 14, 09:07:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Saucy Joe Sullivan said...

We were spared up here in the DFW metroplex from the worst of the storm, but I was glad that we were prepared.

Looks like the Houston area really needed to stock up on the grill fuel as they're still without power in a lot of spots!

Mon Sep 15, 03:18:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Dr. Dave said...

Believe it or not, Dayton, Ohio was not spared 80,000 homes without power as the storm came through with 70mph winds on Sunday. I was through this week, and some folks just got power back on Wednesday. Ike got up and moved inland fast! Highway signs in Iowa, going along I-80 warned that we could not get from Illinois to Indiana at I-80 because of flooding!

Sat Sep 20, 06:00:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home