Food, Wine & Just Good Living With SaucyJoe

It started with a love of food, wine & fun and blossomed into a maddening pursuit of the best recipes, techniques, grills, smokers, wines, crafted beers, rubs, marinades and sauces... We do more than play with our meat though -- we review and discuss all things cooking, drinking, reading, laughing and living at SaucyJoe's.

Friday, September 05, 2008

Guac!

I've made a couple of batches of guacamole lately that I've felt have been noteworthy or should I say blogworthy!! The flavor combined with the simplicity has been very gratifying. So as not to be a selfish guy, I will share my findings in hopes of spreading the gratification!!

I've made all sorts of guacamole and it usually turns into such an everything, but the kitchen sink mixture that I rarely make it the same way twice. People seem happy with the results, but when they ask the contents, their eyes glaze over. To keep the glazing to a minimum and get the finished product to the table faster, I've simplified.

I've taken the suggestions of a fellow food blogger Heidi Swanson and narrowed down my guac to just a few ingredients. One of which is a perfect addition that really makes this version stand out. I've been a fan of canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for a while now and have quite a few recipes that call for it. Problem is, most recipes on require one or two and that leaves the rest of the can unused. I decided to add one to my guacamole since I had a bunch to spare and that made all the difference in the world. The smokey flavor and a touch of heat that grows as you stuff your face is wonderful!

Simple Guac
serves three hungry people

- 2 large avocados diced into half inch cubes
- 1/2 of a large white onion diced as large or small as you want
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce minced
- spoonful of no-fat sour cream
- juice from half of a lime
- salt or garlic salt to taste

Mix all the ingredients together in a medium sized mixing bowl with a fork, smashing the avocado down as you mix. I like chunks in mine, but mostly smooth. It takes some smashing to get to that consistency. Careful not to taste test too many times and leave nothing for the rest of your hungry crew! Transfer the contents to a festive bowl and serve with tortilla chips.

This is about as simple as it gets. Heidi's recipe calls for minced garlic and I may try that in my next batch. You may want to add somthing in addition to what I have, but it is very satisfying in this simple form. Enjoy!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

My guac is just avacado (which I cube while halved in the peel), salt, Ana's Salsa and jalapeno to taste. Mash with fork. Ana's Salsa is some amazing stuff...but I don't know how far outside of Austin you can find it.
~C

Sat Sep 06, 11:18:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Saucy Joe Sullivan said...

Wow! That's even easier than mine! I'll have to search around and see if Ana's Salsa is available, or better yet, just take a trip to Austin and grab a bunch!! Thanks for the Guac recipe!!!

Sun Sep 07, 02:41:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home