Food, Wine & Just Good Living With SaucyJoe

It started with a love of food, wine & fun and blossomed into a maddening pursuit of the best recipes, techniques, grills, smokers, wines, crafted beers, rubs, marinades and sauces... We do more than play with our meat though -- we review and discuss all things cooking, drinking, reading, laughing and living at SaucyJoe's.

Friday, July 27, 2007

When there's no time to soak

I read this article in Cooks Illustrated magazine recently and wanted to pass it on to everyone.

Wood chips contribute smoky flavor to grill roasted and barbecued meats. To prevent them from burning, they must be soaked in water for about an hour. Having forgotten to soak his wood chips ahead of time, Don Camp of Philadelphia, Pa., found that a 15-minute soak in boiling water adequately hydrated the chips and protected them from the heat of the grill.

I can't remember how many times I have forgotten to soak the wood chips before grilling. It usually happens when I have a whole platter of meat ready to go. This will be a time saver. When reading this article I remembered that Dr. Dave uses the microwave to heat up the chips and water. His process may be even faster. I see some testing in my future!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Dave said...

You betcha! I use an empty plastic Folgers coffee 'can'. I fill half way full with chips and cover with hot water. If I don't have time to let the chips soak, I put them in the microwave on high for 1 minute. This hydrates the chips very well. CAREFUL! They are HOT when they are done. Use tongs to place the chips in the smoker box or onto the fire.

Another tip: Use some dry chips as tinder in the smoker box or pouch along with the wet chips. These get the smoking off to a quick start.

Mon Jul 30, 04:35:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home