Food, Wine & Just Good Living With SaucyJoe

It started with a love of food, wine & fun and blossomed into a maddening pursuit of the best recipes, techniques, grills, smokers, wines, crafted beers, rubs, marinades and sauces... We do more than play with our meat though -- we review and discuss all things cooking, drinking, reading, laughing and living at SaucyJoe's.

Friday, September 23, 2005

Grand Openings? I think not...


So, I was looking through several offers on online bottle openers, foil cutters and the like, and I couldn't help but think that the engineers have taken over. Seems as though the process of extracting a cork has become increasingly complicated. From the "easy" machinations of the Rabbit-type contraptions to the gas powered extraction needles, there's a definite pecking order to the wine snob's device of choice.

Maybe some of it goes back to the two-pronged "waiters pull," that evil tuning fork we'd buy, knowing we too could pluck the cork with flair and aplomb, only to mangle then push the cork into the bottle followed by a string of expletives. "Screw you waiter boy."

And, in light of the fact that every time I pull a cork, I'm reminded of just how little upper body strength I possess, I'm going looking for a good solid bar puller, like the kind you see mounted in older bars and restaurants. Bottle in, cork out, boom, done.

3 Comments:

Blogger Connie said...

Haha! I see I'm not the only Sullivan suckered into trying the waiter boy pull extractor.
My sweet little hubby got me a wine bottle opener kit from Brookstone 1 1/2 years ago after such a debacle involving my first Girlfriend's night, cork shoved into the wine bottle and much good natured cursing forever bonding a friendship with my buddy, Renee.
Anyway, I highly recommend this wine bottle opener as it's easy to use, the foil cutter really works and it's reasonably priced.
Connie

Mon Sep 26, 05:09:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Cathy said...

I joined a wine of the month club because they were offering a wine bottle opening kit. It's one of the rabbit types and I really enjoy using it. Before that, I always used a standard opener with a double lever. They were good, too
~C

Sun Oct 02, 12:11:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Dr. Dave said...

I am reminded that 'Pope' David Borzo told us last fall that some of the better wines now come in screw cap bottles. (of course even the best of beers can still be opened using a car door latch!)

Dr. Dave

Thu Oct 13, 03:02:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home